Tatham Fells is a scattered community which forms the upland part of Tatham parish in North Lancashire. There is also a “Higher Tatham” , though it’s not marked on any map, and exactly how it relates to Tatham Fells is unclear. Tatham was once spelled Tateham, and that’s how it’s pronounced! (The ‘h’ is silent).
Tatham Fells lies within the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), created in 1964. The nearest town is Bentham in North Yorkshire.
The western limit of Tatham Fells is the Hindburn river, all the way up to its source below Botton Crag on White Hill. The eastern boundary follows an arc of high moorland from White Hill via Burn Moor to Fourstones. The northern edge is more contentious; where does Tatham end, and Tatham Fells begin? We’ve decided to draw a fuzzy line along the county boundary west from the Great Stone of Fourstones, along Mewith Lane, and down Furnessford Road to the Hindburn river.
Following this boundary by the nearest legal route (public rights of way and access land) would be a tough but very scenic walk of 17 miles with 2500 feet of climb.
As old maps on this site show, Tatham Fells once boasted a pub and a Post Office, both in Lowgill. The Rose & Crown Inn closed in the early 60s.
The nearest public transport routes are in High Bentham, which has a station on the Leeds-Morecambe railway line, and is on the bus route from Lancaster to Ingleton.
Christopher Saxton’s 1577 map of Lancashire shows Tatham Fells church as Tateham Chap[el]. It also marks the “Cross of grete”.
The highest point in Tatham Fells is White Hill (544m or 1786 feet) which is also the second highest hill in the Forest of Bowland (though third highest in the AONB, which includes Pendle)
There are no A or B roads in Tatham Fells, but it has 16 miles of minor road, ½ mile of unsurfaced county road, 1½ miles of public bridleway, and 27 miles of public footpath.